Monday, January 28, 2008

Chapter 6: Use of Bonding in Applique

In this section I generally used Vlisofix, a paper form of adhesive to bond the shapes together to create the designs. I have also used the powdered adhesive method from time to time in the past, but have found that it is only suitable to hold fabrics temporarily (e.g. until they are stitched together). The Vlisofix gives a more long-lasting bond.




Photograph 1: This shows two variations on the starfish theme as well as two other different star designs. These notes describe them starting at the top left and moving clockwise.


a) Painted golden brown background fabric with a blue asymmetric spoke pattern and a sheer border and 4 armed star outline on top. This is a pleasing effect which offers several possibilities for variation which will be explored later in the course. Note how the colour of the orange sheer is changed by the base fabric.


b) Spoke pattern in blue/gold painted Vlisofix applied to pale apricot base fabric and then orange sheer with star cut out placed on the top. Blue glitter star on sheer blue fabric attached in the centre as a highlight. I think the spoke effect has future possibilities, but I prefer samples a & c.


c) Layers of starfish shapes placed on pale apricot background. The middle sheer blue star was enhanced with a darker blue stipple applied with Inktense pencils. This effect was also very pleasing and I could see it could be enhanced with stitches in later exercises.


d) Starfish shape achieved by cut out on top layer to reveal painted fabric background. Further emphasis is achieved by adding the narrow 5-armed star in a deeper version of the base colour.






Photograph 2: This shows two more variations on the starfish theme as well as two other star designs. The samples were produced either with decorative bonded multi-layer fabrics or painted Vlisofix. These notes describe them starting at the top left and moving clockwise.


a) This shape came from the derived star shapes in Chapter 3. The main shape has been cut from the layered fabric with scraps trapped under net. The centre was cut out and another painted piece of fabric was placed underneath so that the criss-cross pattern showed through.


b) This sample used a starfish outline cut from the bonded fabric made from trapped silk tops. The glitter stars, cut from a blue sheer fabric, were scattered on the design to provide a contrast.


c) In this sample I experimented with two starfish cut from different layered fabrics plus a third cut from net, but overall I did not like the effect because there was not enough of a link between the colours and effects of the 3 shapes.


d) The base fabric in this sample had a gold star emblem printed on it. Two layers of sheer cut in the outline of an 8 pointed star were placed so that they overlapped slightly, giving a variation in intensity of the orange. Then another 8 spoked star in acqua blue/gold was placed over the top. I think that this has reasonable possibilities if it worked up further. The colour combination with the gold gave a pleasing effect.





Photograph 3: This shows two other samples where I experimented with cutting out star shapes and then trapping them with a sheer over the top of the entire square. However on the whole I did not like the slightly dull and "grubby" effect that this produced. I prefer more selective use of sheers which do not entirely cover the background.

No comments: