Monday, May 27, 2013

CHAPTER 11 PART 2: REVISIONS TO PROPOSED DESIGN

 

After receiving  my tutor’s initial comments I have done a few more samples aimed at resolving some outstanding design questions.

1. CENTREPIECE ON FRONT FLAP OF WALLET

In my initial sample for the main Glasgow Rose on the front flap of the wallet I had tried a filling of textured wool rewoven into  sections of withdrawn threads combined with other pulled threads area. However, Sian suggested that a more lacy look might fit better with the art nouveau theme of the Mackintosh house. I did two more samples where I experimented with other approaches. The first picture shows the outline worked in machine stitching and then filled in with a combination of needle-weaving and pulled thread areas. I embedded this one into some silk paper to see what the overall impression would be like.

P1040272

I thought it had definite possibilities but the final shape was a bit large and I was not that happy with the colour combination and the placing of the needle-woven areas, so I did a second sample.

The second sample, shown below, is more pleasing, as the size and colour combination is better, as well as the placement of the different areas of stitching. Each area was outlined in a grey-green chain stitch, which I preferred to the machine stitching used in the first sample. The grey green colour represented the leadlight windows used as inspiration for the shape.

P1040243

  This panel will be embedded into the front flap of the silk paper for the final piece.

2. THE BACK OF THE WALLET

I experimented with a few approaches for the leaf motif on the back of the wallet. I dyed some fabric with the green dye I intended to use for the silk paper and then worked an outline of the leaf shape, using the same pulled thread technique as the main motif to fill it. P1040246 I was planning to embed this motif into the back of the silk paper wallet. However, although I tried several ways of doing this, I eventually decided to leave this idea for another day, as I couldn’t successfully resolve the design.

 

Instead I decided to simplify the back and incorporate a second rose worked with needleweaving and pulled thread work in the same style as the front flap.  Two embroidered roses and grid lines will be added (see below)

3. GRID LINES

I made several twisted cords, experimenting with various thread and colour combinations, to give the grid-lines a heavier weight. The combination which seemed most acceptable was made with the grey-green Perle 8 thread used for the outline of the rose and a forest green Pearle 12 which looked good against the chosen green background.

P1040249

4. PRESENTING THE PHOTOGRAPHS

I had  stated previously that I hoped to embed the wedding photos in the silk paper, but had not yet tried it. I experimented with two methods. In the first I just laid silk fibres around the edge of the photo to adhere it to the paper background. Whilst this method worked, there was a risk of accidently damaging the photos when the textile medium was applied.

In the second method I made a blind pocket that the picture could be slid into after the paper was dry. This was done by laying down a layer of silk fibres, then placing a piece of mesh slightly larger than the size of the photo (“photo template”) on top. More silk fibres were added around and overlapping the edges of the photo template. Once I was happy with the placement the entire sheet was stuck together as before with a mixture of diluted fabric medium and dye. This was left to dry, and then the template was removed and the actual photograph slid into place.

P1040271

This technique worked very well and has been used to incorporate all the photos into their silk paper frames. I worked a row of wavy running stitch around each page to add a bit more interest, but decided to keep this simple so as not to detract from the effect of the photos and the silk paper. I also made a small hole in the corner of each sheet with an awl and worked an eyelet into it. The sheets were then bound together with a twisted cord and finished with a tassel to make the photo album. The album will be the main insert in the wallet.

P1040265

5. NEW MOCK-UP OF WALLET

P1040258

A rough mock-up of the new front panel of the wallet is shown above. The lacy insert will be embedded into the top flap of the silk paper. A section of the twisted cord is also shown to demonstrate the intended colour and weight of the lines. The exact positioning of the cords will be decided after the objects have been embedded.

 P1040263

The new back panel of the wallet is shown above.  The cords will continue in line with the front panel. The colours of the embroidered roses will be adjusted slightly to combine better with the lacy roses.

No comments: